Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Alot of people have been telling me that entering a poly would be a better option for me since I seem like a more hands-on person rather than those mug all day non-stop kind.



There are a few reasons why I'm choosing a 'lousy' JC instead of a poly. I've had a REALLY hard time choosing between those two, trust me. Person A would tell me that I should totally go for a JC cause there's a MUCH bigger chance of me entering uni but a few minutes later, Person B would tell me that I totally look like I don't suit JC life.

Nonetheless, thankyou for your frank opinions, they made me think much more carefully. A friend told me that I might be stressed out and sacrifice my sleep or anything, because I happen to be that kind of person sometimes. Thanks for the concern too, I'll try my best not to do that in the future :)



Reason 1; From what I've heard from my brother, his friends, my mom, her friends and basically the more experienced ones, entering a JC would train your way of thinking and gives your thinking more depth. For me, I'd like to pursue stuff like designing or anything art-related in the future so having more depth would help me create better pieces.

Creativity is a very great component in art, but it won't be complete without an idea behind it.

My mom's friend's daughter went on to study art right after her O'levels and now has FANTASTIC skills in painting, sketching and everything. I mean, that'll probably be very useful for her future career but she finds that she's lacking abit in the thinking part. In this modern world, the IDEA behind everything is a very important factor and I think its a lesson to learn from. Not to say she's not successful right now, but she's regretting not applying for a JC then.


Reason 2; If I enter a poly, there'll be smaller chances of me entering a uni. I'm not THAT certain about how well I'll do in poly, and I don't think having just a diploma would get me any decent jobs. Besides, if I do well enough for my A levels, there is always University of HongKong (good for designing). and If I don't do well, I can still try out for other courses in university, OR even go back to poly and start all over again. Most people, even with screwed results for A levels, would enter a uni eventually, even if its overseas.


Reason 3; I personally don't think I'm mature enough to enter the working world in just 3 years' time. The competition is intense there, and I'm not a person who can work well under stress. I also HATE to be restricted, so I wouldn't like work if I'm given some certain (and restricting) criterias by customers or clients.


Reason 4; Even though I'm quite certain I really like the arts or designing alot, I'm not too sure about my future yet. Unlike some of you out there who already KNOW what you want to be, I don't. I'm fine with anything NOT boring, but there are so many jobs like that out there.


Reason 5; Temasek Poly is the best poly that offers the ONE AND ONLY course I like -- Visual Communications. It involves Graphic design, illustration and photography, which are at least much more similar to the fine arts. In fact, it is a rather 'hot' course now since advertisments make up a very big part of our lives now. Yes, Visual Comm is basic more of AD and stuff. That's about the ONLY course I like ALOT. full stop. If I get into poly but not the course I like....GG.


Reason 6; Yes, its true that many, MANY people who have graduated from poly are very successful right now. But would I be one of them?


Reason 7; I don't think I'll click well with the people there. I'm the kind that won't really survive without friends around me so...yeah.





Besides, i'll try to take art in jc (I just hope they'll accept me, I don't take AEP and that's a really big problem) and that's good enough for me. Okay, another reason is that I don't have any other subjects I like but that's kinda besides the point.

Oh, and TPJC arts is actually not bad. I mean its better than me taking sciences yah.





I mean, Business/Engineering school in poly would definitely do alot of you good, but I'm not sure if Design school would. I also don't think I'm ready for work in 3 years if I'm not the top 10 percent to enter uni. Also, its sometimes not based on how smart I am or not; I'm sure ALOT of people out there have better artistic ablities than me and might actually do much better than me in this aspect.


Whatever it is, I'm not going to care about how LOUSY Tampines JC is, how LOW their university entrance rate is. I'm just NOT going to slack as much as I did (which is ALOT), and try my best for the A's.


I'm not choosing JC just because I think polytechnics are lousy or what. In fact, I really like visual communications alot, but the above reasons are enough for me to choose a JC.







Yeah, screw my O'level results. I was extremely screwed but I'll work hard to not be screwed.





First thing to do? Sleep early and STOP sleeping in class. Oh, and don't get influenced by the people around me. Uh-huh.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(I went for TP design school talk and Kaiying's house for dinner! Shall post more about that soon.) Ahh, we all miss those AHS days....

No comments: